Production ? HTTP 1.1 ? SSL ? Mono ?

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Hi,

I have a couple of questions.

1) Does it fully support HTTP 1.1 ? and file mime types ?

2) Does it support SSL ?

3) Can it run on Mono 2.6.3 or later ?

4) Is it capable of running in production ? ie.. 1000 concurrent connections ?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

Coordinator
Jun 12, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Andrew,

I don't have, no know of, a test I can run against CassiniDev to test it's compliance/support with HTTP 1.1. If you do, please let me know, I would be interested.

But my gut says yes, as it is basically IIS 6 with some limitations.

Mime Types: If you are asking if CassiniDev is able to serve up content and send the correct content-type headers the answer is yes. I specifically added support for a huge array of file types. You can browse the Common.cs file and see if this answers your question http://cassinidev.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/view/51795#1365100

Mono: Compile on mono? pretty sure that is a non-starter due to some references. Run on mono? perhaps, if you carry some of the unsupported framework binaries along with you. I have not tested this scenario.

Production: Surely you jest, sir! ;-)

CassiniDev, like Cassini and WebDev.WebServer are intended as development and/or testing tools. While you may expose content with CassiniDev on any IP and any port, to serve content to the internet at large with CassiniDev poses a security risk and this is one of the primary reasons that the Visual Studio development server is crippled in this fashion.

And while I have not tested the throughput or connection capacity of CassiniDev or any other development/testing server I would have to make an educated guess and say that, given your stated requirements, you would be better served with a dedicated and mature HTTP server implementation.

If you choose to test CassiniDev in this capacity, please do report back your results. I would be interested.

Sep 10, 2010 at 11:31 PM

For my need, 'production' means the ability to deploy an app to stand alone computers using a personal web server.  So connection count is low.   Using old Cassini for .NET 2.0, this worked pretty robustly.  Any reason to believe this expectation is unreasonable for the new version?

Coordinator
Sep 12, 2010 at 8:57 PM

No reason to believe that this is an unreasonable scenario. You may even have a better experience self hosting with the dll lib.